Learn how to leverage civics instruction so that it empowers students to be proactive about important issues impacting their lives. In this session, explore lessons and activities on civic engagement that prepare learners to be informed and engaged citizens by providing opportunities for them to connect directly with their local, state, and federal officials.
- ELA & social studies teachers at all levels
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
This session will introduce materials from a civics unit that teaches learners about the three levels of government while encouraging them to give voice to the problems that they face in their communities and in the country. The unit guides students to take action and connect with representatives to seek solutions to these problems. The materials, which were inspired by iCivics, can be used for in-person or remote instruction. Attendees will have the opportunity to experience and reflect on several lesson activities, and all materials will be shared after the session.
- Explain the importance of civics instruction for adult learners
- Implement explicit instruction approaches into teaching
- Utilize digital tools for engaging students in learning
- Access key resources to enhance civics instruction
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: