Join this session to learn about how your adult education program can become more inclusive of all students, including those with disabilities. This session will draw from disability studies, disability activism, and the practical knowledge of workforce development. The session will provide a discussion forum and constructive guidance for adult educators who wish to build or enhance disability inclusive practices in their programs. Participants will walk away from the session with a written plan for integrating disability inclusive content into their orientation or into a lesson plan.
- Advisors and instructors in the role of supporting students with disabilities (all advisors and instructors)
- Program directors seeking information to build disability-inclusive program designs
- ADA coordinators
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The session will begin with an overview of how adult education programs can benefit from the important work being done in disability studies, disability activism, and disability inclusion in workforce development contexts. Next, it will provide practical guidance on how to infuse disability culture into the existing culture of a program. You will be supported in developing disability-conscious activities and products for use in program orientations, classrooms, and program administration. You will walk away with a plan on how to implement at least one aspect of disability-inclusive programming into their orientations, classroom lessons, or elsewhere.
On March 31st we are offering a complimentary session: Using the Basic Disability Resource. Attendance at both is strongly recommended, but not required.
Note: This session is being offered via Zoom. Jane Brandt will confirm your registration and send you the link to join the session several days prior to the event.
- Use disability culture to create a sense of belonging for disabled students in your program
- Use disability culture to empower students with disabilities to take an active role in their learning experience
- Develop disability-conscious activities you can implement in your program
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: