PLEASE NOTE: This session is now full; however, in response to demand, we are offering a second, repeat session on March 24 from 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. Please register via the SABES Calendar.
Everyone is concerned about the increasing spread of the corona virus and preparing for how this evolving situation may impact our programs, staff, and students. The fear of infection may keep students away, or your agency may decide to ask employees to work from home and temporarily close the program. Decisions about how to proceed may be made by others and beyond our control.
Fortunately, there are alternatives to holding face-to-face classes, but it’s important to prepare now so staff and students will be ready when and if these decisions are made. To help programs prepare for this possibility, the SABES Program Support PD Center (Digital Literacy) is offering this webinar to help teachers prepare to provide instruction online using the free platform, Google Classroom.
In addition to this webinar, our presenter will be available to work with you individually and respond to questions you might have following the webinar as you begin to onboard staff and students.
- We are offering a second webinar for ESOL teachers on USA Learns on March 30 at 12:00 p.m.
- Importantly, both Google Classroom and USA Learns can be used to complement your face-to-face instruction, regardless of whether or not your program chooses to suspend face-to-face classes.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Program directors and teachers who want to understand how Google Classroom can be used to teach students online
In this 90 minute webinar, we will review the basics of using Google Classroom with ABE students so teachers can begin to plan for teaching online. The webinar is designed to help teachers to:
- Create online accounts and classrooms
- Onboard students
- Find and create lessons and track student progress
- Engage and support students in online learning
- Track attendance and participation
We will also share some other tools that you might want to consider using.
We want to remind you that Google Classroom offers a good option for increasing access and intensity, whether or not your program needs to temporarily close. This tool is enthusiastically used by many teachers for reasons that include:
- It saves time! It simplifies the way teachers can create and give assignments, provide feedback, and support to students.
- It keeps student materials organized in one place -- no more lost papers!
- It allows students to review class materials outside of class time, and catch up if they miss class.
- It supports students in building digital literacy skills to prepare them for online learning, self-study, and higher education or training.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Prepare to use Google Classroom to teach students at a distance
- Prepare students to use Google Classroom for remote learning
You will need to have and know your username and password for either a Gmail or a Google account. If you do not have one, create a new account for free by going to either https://mail.google.com/mail/signup for Gmail or https://accounts.google.com/signup for Google.
If you aren't already familiar with Google Docs and Google Sheets, please review the free online tutorial at GCFLearnFree Lessons 1 and 2.