Explore evidence-based approaches for facilitating deep learning of content-area vocabulary at GLE 9-12, both online and in a physical classroom.
- ELA teachers
- Subject-matter teachers (e.g., social studies, science, workforce prep, etc.)
- Teachers and tutors for GLE 9-12; teachers of intermediate-level readers are welcome to attend as well
- Corrections teachers
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Experience evidence-based techniques for teaching content-specific (a.k.a “Tier 3”) vocabulary. Both in-person and online approaches are included for selecting words, designing explicit instruction, providing meaningful practice, and assessing learning.
This two-week PD opportunity has 3 phases:
- Exploration: Attend a live webinar (2/22/2021) that introduces content and engages you in activities you can later use with students (2 PD hours)
- Practice: Over 2 weeks, implement one or more new instructional approaches with adult learners
- Reflection: Attend a follow-up webinar (3/8/2021) to debrief and reflect on the approaches (1 PD hour)
- Explain what Tier 3 words are and why they are an essential part of reading instruction for ASE students
- Select appropriate Tier 3 words for instruction
- Implement key EBRI approaches for teaching Tier 3 vocabulary and assessing learning
- Access print and online resources
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: