Explore evidence-based techniques for teaching Tier 2 (general academic) vocabulary at GLE 9–12, both online and in a physical classroom. This course will cover selecting words, designing explicit instruction, providing meaningful practice, and assessing learning.
- ELA teachers
- Subject-matter teachers (e.g., social studies, science, workforce prep, etc.)
- Teachers and tutors for GLE 9-12 in particular; however, teachers of intermediate-level readers are welcome to attend
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Vocabulary is a major focus of reading instruction at all levels, including Adult Secondary Education (ASE)/GLE 9–12; academic (Tier 2) vocabulary is critical for success on the HiSET/GED and in college and careers. Explore evidence-based approaches for teaching academic vocabulary at GLE 9–12, both online and in a physical classroom.
This three-week PD opportunity has three phases:
- Exploration: Attend a live webinar that introduces content and engages you in activities you can later use with students (2 PD hours).
- Practice: Over three weeks, implement one or more new instructional approaches with adult learners.
- Reflection: Attend a follow-up webinar to debrief and reflect on the approaches (1 PD hour).
- Explain what Tier 2 words are and why they are an essential part of reading instruction for ASE students
- Select appropriate Tier 2 words for instruction
- Implement key EBRI approaches for teaching Tier 2 vocabulary and assessing learning
- Access print and online resources
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: