How can you know what to focus on when it comes to teaching and integrating the digital literacy skills students need? This highly participatory, hands-on workshop will introduce participants to the SkillRise Framework. The Framework is based on the adult version of the ISTE Digital Literacy Standards for Students, one of the sets of standards recommended by ACLS.
ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) developed a research-based special initiative called The Profile of a Lifelong Learner to define the digital skills that adult learners need in order to thrive in the future of school, work, and community life. These findings can serve as a guide for you as an adult educator in your work with students.
About this PD
- After you register, Ruzica Banovic (firstname.lastname@example.org) will send you a confirmation email with information on how to join this online session.
- This two-hour online webinar is followed by a half-hour planning project that you will draft for your students’ digital literacy development. This can be submitted by 12/13 for feedback and support from PSPDC Digital Literacy PD Specialist Diana Satin.
Questions? Contact Diana Satin: email@example.com
- Novice, intermediate, and advanced level directors, teachers, advisors, and others interested in supporting students in building their digital literacy skills as well as developing their own
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
During this workshop, the facilitators will provide a tour of the Profile of a Lifelong Learner and how it can be used to build engaging, accessible, and meaningful digital age learning experiences for adult students. You will engage in interactive activities and a collaborative conversation about how to prepare your adult learners for success in school, work, and community life.
We will conclude with a hands-on activity to take a current lesson plan and adapt it to align with the Profile. You will leave with an updated lesson plan to use in your classrooms and ideas and resources for how to continue exploring the Profile after the session ends.
Following the workshop, you will be asked to share a draft of your own lesson plan and will have the opportunity to review other participants' plans as well. During this time, Diana Satin will be available to check in and support your progress.
This is one in a series of five Introduction to Digital Literacy online workshops on the standards and frameworks suggested by ACLS. All will be posted to the SABES Calendar soon. We strongly encourage those who did not attend the Introduction to Digital Literacy: Where to Begin! webinar to review the recording prior to attending this workshop.
- Intro to Digital Literacy: Where to Begin! (On demand, recorded webinar)
- Northstar Digital Literacy Standards
- Maryland Digital Literacy Framework
- Teaching Skills That Matter: Digital Literacy (January 11 and 25 from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
Note: Please come to the webinar with a lesson you would like to align with the standards.
- Name the standards of the SkillRise Framework
- Describe three ways the Profile of a Lifelong Learner can be used to prepare adult learners for success in school, work, and community life
- Align a lesson with one Standard
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: