Are you looking to delve into complex topics with your class but aren’t sure where to begin? In this workshop, we will examine multiple Newsela texts around a range of current topics to assist students in understanding and discussing complex topics using the text as the basis for discussion. You will walk away with strategies for designing learning experiences with your students that build knowledge and critical thinking skills.
About this workshop:
- Once you register, Kathleen O’Connell will send you the information on how to join this online session.
- All participants must have an active Newsela account prior to the session. You can find information here about how to sign up through your DESE-funded agency email address, which will give you access to the Massachusetts Custom ABE Collection.
- Programs/administrators/instructors using Newsela
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Both the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education and the MA ELA Professional Standards require teachers and students to engage with complex texts to build knowledge and critical thinking skills.
In this session with our Newsela partners, you will explore strategies for addressing complex topics with your learners, including how to facilitate text-based discussions where learners gain knowledge, compare points of view, and articulate a response based on their understanding of the text. You will have an opportunity to take part in text-based discussions, curate content for your own purposes, and apply strategies for designing similar learning experiences around complex topics for your community of learners.
If you have any questions or need assistance creating or accessing a Newsela account, please contact Kathleen_oconnell@worlded.org.
- Build on your current experiences with complex topics in the classroom
- Use Newsela content and features to support engaging learners with complex topics in the classroom
- Review or curate content to serve as the foundation for text-based discussions
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
Program staff who are currently using Newsela