Support your students in becoming more confident and accomplished writers.
Writing Fluency Strategies: Quick Writes, Journaling, and Bio-Poems focuses on strategies that will help students reduce their reluctance to write and increase their writing fluency.
Writing Fluency Strategies is one part of a four-part series on evidence-based writing strategies, many of which can be easily adapted for online and remote learning.
Note: This is a repeat of last spring's successful writing series.
- ELA teachers, tutors, and volunteers
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Each session in this series includes:
- A live webinar that introduces at least two strategies, a brief discussion of the relevant research, and its implications for teaching (2 PD hours)
- Two weeks for practice
- A follow-up webinar to debrief and reflect on the strategies tried in those two weeks (1 PD hour)
Complete all three hours to receive PD time in LACES.
Session 1: Writing Fluency Strategies: Quick Writes, Journaling, and Bio-Poems
This session focuses on strategies that will help students reduce their reluctance to write and increase their writing fluency.
- Initial session: Wed. October 14, 1-3 pm
- Follow-up session: Wed. October 28, 1-2 pm
Register for the other sessions in this series:
- Pre-writing and Organizing Strategies (11/4/20 and 11/18/20)
- Integrating Reading and Writing (12/2/20 and 12/16/20)
- Summarizing Strategies (1/13/21 and 1/27/21)
PDPs are available upon request and with completion of all four sessions and a final project, to be determined by the participant, course facilitator, and PD Center Director.
Please note: This course cannot be accessed from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
- Complete specific writing strategies, with the goal of being able to model and teach them to others
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: