Support your students in becoming more confident and accomplished writers.
Integrating Reading & Writing: Getting the Gist & Making Predictions focuses on strategies that can be used to scaffold the writing process and to teach students about text structures.
Integrating Reading & Writing is one part of a four-part series on evidence-based writing strategies, many of which can be easily adapted for online and remote learning.
Note: This is a repeat of last spring's successful writing series.
- ELA teachers, tutors, and volunteers
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Each session in the series includes:
- A live webinar that introduces at least two strategies, a brief discussion of the relevant research, and its implications for teaching (2 PD hours)
- Two weeks for practice
- A follow-up webinar to debrief and reflect on the strategies tried in those two weeks (1 PD hour)
Complete all three hours to receive PD time in LACES.
Session 3: Integrating Reading and Writing: Getting the Gist and Making Predictions
Research supports integrating reading and writing instruction: writing enhances reading skills, and vice versa. Learn and practice two strategies, Getting the Gist and Making Predictions, that will help students construct meaning from text and develop their skills in written expression.
Getting the Gist is an evidence-based summarizing strategy that helps with both reading comprehension and writing skills: students learn to identify the main ideas and topics of a reading selection. Making Predictions helps students with both critical thinking and written expression. Both strategies can be used when teaching content-area text.
- Initial session: Wed. Dec. 2, 1-3 pm
- Follow-up session: Wed. Dec. 16, 1-2 pm
Register for the remaining session in this series:
- Summarizing Strategies (1/13/21 and 1/27/21)
PDPs are available upon request and with completion of all four sessions and a final project, to be determined by the participant, course facilitator, and PD Center Director.
Please note: This course cannot be accessed from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the course.
- Complete specific writing strategies, with the goal of being able to model and teach them to others
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: