Sherry Lehane shows teachers how to get started using Google Docs, including how Docs are organized in your Google account and how to use common features (downloading) and less common features (like
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
- Women's History Month Math Resources
- Math Resources for Supporting Learners With Learning Disabilities, Differences, and Difficulties
- Math What to Look for Guides
- Alignment of ABE Professional Development Standards with SABES Math PD and Resources
- Back to School Math Resources
- Math Support for First Language Literacy and Spanish ABE Teachers
- Resources for remote instruction
- Anti-racism, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resources
Looking for information on the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math (CALM)? Visit the CALM website.
See all currently scheduled SABES PD on the Upcoming Events list (filter by "Math and Numeracy") or search the SABES PD Calendar. Summaries of all math and numeracy PD (including PD not currently scheduled) are available. Participants from MA ACLS-funded programs have priority for event registration, but others are welcome as space allows.
Coaching and program-based PD are available to ACLS-funded programs on request. Contact our Center!
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units*
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Resources for remote instruction, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Heidi Schuler-Jones, at email@example.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Math & Numeracy: Upcoming Events
We want our students prepared to earn their high school credential and develop employability and life skills, while incorporating CCRS...
This introduction to the Teaching Skills That Matter in Adult Education (TSTM) Toolkit provides an overview of the toolkit framework...
Adults who are beginning math learners can sometimes find themselves left behind by HSE curriculum or stuck trying to memorize...
Math and Numeracy : Videos
Two adult education math teachers talk about using manipulatives and digital tools in remote math teaching.
This video demonstrates how to use the Annotate feature in Zoom.
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
This resource is a practice brief on effective instructional practices and examples for teaching math to English learners (ELs) produced by the U.S...
This packet introduces an instructional routine called a Test Talk. Test Talks will help you create and nurture a classroom culture that values...
Achieve a Big Effect Through Small Actions For two years, SABES Math & Adult Numeracy (M&N) consultant Lakshmi Nayak had a visually impaired, legally...